LikeCoin Community Call #202103 Minutes

Table of Contents

LikeCoin chain upgrade is targeted at the end of March, and open up with the community to form a ISCN work team.


Date & Time

  • 2021.03.01 (Mon) 1030–1100 GMT / 1820–1900 (GMT +8)

1. LikeCoin work team update

  • Phoebe (01′:30″) Liker Land had two new members from Taiwan, both of them are developers however it was a Taiwan public holiday. They will show up at next month’s meeting.

2. Introduced upcoming LikeCoin chain upgrade introduction

  • Chung (01′:47″) Working on the next version of the LikeCoin chain. The current version is the Sheung Wan and is going to upgrade to Fotan. In the upcoming Fotan upgrade, two major upgrades are expected:
  1. The ISCN module which is a registry for content metadata and this new feature will be added to the LikeCoin chain. It has been actively developed and the basic functionalities are already finished however minor adjustments have to be made and have to be updated for the new Cosmos SDK version as well.
  2. Upgrade the Cosmos SDK from 0.37 to 0.4x, depending on what their final version is. This version is the version of which the previous Cosmos Hub stargate upgrade is using. It brings mainly gRPC and protobuf which are the basic fundamental architectural changes for quicker efficiency on chain execution. It also brings up the LikeCoin chain an upgrade to a new module called the upgrade module which allows validators to manage the upgrade automatically by using the new type of upgrade proposals. Moreover the feature can be used on more fluent upgrades but unfortunately since the Sheung Wan chain does not support the upgrade module, a large and troublesome upgrade process is still required.
  • Chung (04′:45″) In order for validators to practice the upgrade, all validators are encouraged and invited to join the testnet setup so that they can practice the chain upgrade on the testnet before doing it on the mainnet.
  1. Testnet will be released at the end of March and is based on the old version Sheung Wan which is the same of the current mainnet.
  2. Will wait for most of the current LikeCoin chain validators to join the testnet.
  3. After validators join the testnet and tested on chain upgrade, a signaling proposal will be fired on the testnet for the software upgrade mainly deciding the time and the software version for the chain upgrade.
  4. Once the proposal is passed. The chain will be shut down and a video call will be held for real time communication on the whole upgrade process.
  5. Validators will export the chain state and key information on the validator node.
  6. Validators then migrate the exported chain state for the new version of the chain.
  7. Validators will check interactively to confirm the chain state for the new chain.
  8. Once the chain state is confirmed, validators can decide on the genesis date and genesis time for the new chain, and start up the node for using the new software version. Then wait for the new chain to be up by the time of the decided genesis time
  9. The process is not complicated but since all validators may not have the experience for chain upgrade, it is very necessary for everyone to practice on the testnet before doing the mainnet launch. All the validators are encouraged to join the testnet setup process. Follow up discussion goes to LikeCoin Discord: #likecoin-governance
  • Wright (08′:13″, Responded on chatbox) He would like to know more about the new features that can be executed by the users in Fotan chain
  • Chung (08′:39″) The major new feature is the ISCN module which provides content registry. When a user has some metadata on a content such as title, descriptions, date, price, license of rights…etc., these metadata of a content can be uploaded to the chain and the user can get id referring to these metadata. This will be a record for anyone to query using this ISCN id to refer to the content and trace updates of it. The functionality is basically registering content metadata on the chain so that it would be checkable by others as a record.
  • guanyun (10′:07″, Responded on chatbox) What formats are supported by content now?
  • Chung (10′:15″) Any content could be uploaded because the uploading and registering is for the content metadata instead of the content itself. There are schemas for the content, for example content with stakeholder which refers to creators of the content. It also supports title and description. There is no schema on a particular content type such as article or photo but since it supports any attributes it’s like a key value table so that any extra attributes can be put into the content and be put it into the chain.
  • Phoebe (11’31”) For priority wise will support text and images and it will be the two spectrum of use cases that will apply to ISCN. As the plugin was integrated in Matters as well as in WordPress, ISCN feature can be deployed easily to support text registration for ISCN.
  • Chung (12′:32″) When ISCN schema was first designed, the community was not as robust as it is now therefore it is a good time to discuss more about it on LikeCoin discord.

3. Proposed to form ISCN work team

  • Phoebe (13′:24″) Liker Land team is currently driving the main technical development for ISCN and the LikeCoin chain, however more work and discussion would be open up with the community in terms of such a major product releasing this year. Propose to form a ISCN work team together and leverage the community talent especially on tasks for pre-launch preparation and and promotion e.g. social media content planning, graphic design, video creation talent to explain the idea of ISCN which is one of the major pieces of decentralized publishing. Similar to how Cosmos structure their upgrade with stargate, they also leverage multiple entities to work together. iscn discussion channel is started on Discord. Phoebe and Chong will prepare action items and start the discussion.
  • Askender (16′:15″, Responded on chatbox) He created an iscn channel just in the meeting and asked if devs is on discord. He has been waiting for iscn for a long time and decided to join the testnet.

4. Demo of LikeCoin button extension on Youtube


5. Summary of proposal #10 and 11, discuss the potential of dev grant setup

  • Phoebe (22′:01″) Proposal 10 is on decreasing proposal deposit amount that is currently raised by Askender which he already drafted the proposal details. Proposal 11 is about increasing community tax.
  • Askender (22′:55″) He wrote proposal 10 and wishes to decrease the minimum deposit to 10,000 LikeCoin. Decrease of minimum deposit can make a proposal easier for everyone. One hundred thousand LikeCoin deposits is quite high for him.
  • Kin (25’01”) There are two issues, one is a technical issue because in order to change the minimum deposit of a proposal, a parameter change proposal has to be raised instead of a text proposal (talking about proposal 10). Even if proposal 10 is passed, a proposal 11 has to be raised to execute the changes. Secondly it is not the one who raises the proposal has to deposit all the LikeCoin. Take the Cosmos community as an example because they’re the biggest, usually the one who raises the proposal just deposits a little bit like a symbolic amount of token and the community deposits the rest so that they show their support. Otherwise it would be very easy for one to raise the proposal and deposit the minimum amount and nobody has any idea whether others are supporting the proposal before the voting.
  • OldCat (27′:45″) Everybody would like to have autonomy to do the voting whatever they like. He suggested speaking more on Discord and communicate so that all validators can have the basic consensus to support the plan and this is the way to work together. It’s better not to respond too fast and observe first. It’s also better to do the deposit together with two or three validators who would like to vote for the proposal so that the money won’t be wasted.
  • Phoebe (30′:02″) In proposal 8 had already raised once on decreasing the minimum deposit for proposal. It might be a good idea to have some time to observe these changes first before raising another proposal related to it. Askander or some validators are actually constantly discussing how to incentivize people to care about the project more as well as on the governance so actually no matter it is the proposal deposit or increasing community tax or the dev grant setup. They are all towards the same goal but which one should be the priority might be the area that we can think of.
  • Chung (33′:05″) Changing the community tax is also a parameter change proposal just like the minimum deposit amount. Using the community tax involves another type of proposal which basically works as a proposal that if passed, the certain amount specified in the proposal will be sent from the community tax pool to a dedicated address which is also specified in the proposal.
  • Kin (34′:39″) There is a substantial amount of LikeCoin for the ecosystem development so it’s totally ok to set up a grant e.g. a million, 10 million of development support initiative. It would be a manual process, somebody will have to raise a signaling proposal and he will execute it. It’s not like the community pool which is automatic. More details can be discussed on Discord.

Next community call

  • LikeCoin community call is scheduled on the first Monday every month
  • The next meeting will be held on 2021.04.05 (tentative, as it is a public holidays in HK) at GMT +8, 1820 in meet.google.com/ovn-smic-auu